Accessibility at Fresno State
Fresno State’s obligation to consider the needs of participants with disabilities extends to any event sponsored by the University, student organizations, departments, or groups whether held on or off campus and whether members of the public are invited to attend.
Accessible Event Planning Guide
Include a standard accessibility contact statement on all of your publicity (i.e. print ads, Web pages, radio and TV spots and include an event contact for accessibility.
Example: If you need a disability-related accommodation or wheelchair access information, please contact _________, at _________ or email; ______________. Requests should be made ___________ (at least one week in advance of the event).
- Understand any limitations that may exist with the facility/venue. If any special accommodations are required please contact Facilities Management.
- Understand hours of operation and other guidelines in place for planning accessible use of the facility chosen.
- Is the facility (building, theater, etc.) accessible to a person who uses a wheelchair or other mobility device?
- If the event is on an upper floor, is there an elevator?
- Are restrooms accessible and close to the meeting area?
- Is disabled parking available nearby?
- If providing transportation for an offsite event, have accommodations been made for wheelchair users?
- If providing on-campus transportation have you contacted Parking and Transportation for information?
- Have you arranged for an interpreter to be present at your event (complete request on the Access at Fresno State website)?
- Have you arranged for other assistive equipment that may be required (i.e., FM systems)?
- Have you set aside front area seating for a sign language interpreter or real time captionist (RTC)?
- Have you provided advance copies of written materials/outlines for sign language interpreters/RTC?
- Have you considered making a small supply of enlarged print copies of publications, event program, handouts, etc. for those who may request it?
- Have you arranged for handouts, surveys, programs, etc. to be put in alternative formats?
- Are you aware that blind people and others sometimes use a service animal and that they must be allowed into the function?
- If materials/forms are to be filled out at the event are there readers and/or scribes available?
Use the following symbols in advertisements (if applicable):
Symbol to indicate event is Physically Accessible
Symbol to indicate Sign Language Interpreter Available