Accessibility @ Fresno State
Accessibility Requirements for Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
Federal and State law and CSU policy require Fresno State to ensure the accessibility of the Information and Communication Technology that we develop, maintain, use, or procure.
What does it mean for ICT to be considered "Accessible"?
“Accessible means a person with a disability is afforded the opportunity to acquire the same information, engage in the same interactions, and enjoy the same services as a person without a disability in an equally effective and equally integrated manner, with substantially equivalent ease of use.
A person with a disability must be able to obtain the information as fully, equally, and independently as a person without a disability. Although this might not result in identical ease of use compared to that of persons without disabilities, it still must ensure equal opportunity to the educational benefits and opportunities afforded by the technology and equal treatment in the use of such technology.
What items are considered ICT?
Examples of ICT include but are not limited to:
- Computers, laptops, and servers
- Printers and Copiers
- Document Scanners
- Multi-function office machines
- Peripheral Equipment (e.g. keyboards, monitors)
- Information kiosks and transaction machines
- Mobile phones
- Software, Platform, or Infrastructure As a Service (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS)
- Desktop and server-based software applications
- Cloud hosted software applications
- Mobile applications
- Operating systems
- Open source Software
- Content management systems
- Online Collaboration Tools
- Document management systems
- Authoring Tools (e.g. MS Office, PDF converters, Adobe Acrobat Pro)
- Remote Access software
- Virtual Meeting Tools (VOIP, text messages, screen shares, remote meetings)
- Learning Management systems
- Internet and Intranet websites and web based content (sites, pages, applications, etc.)
- Enterprise, web, and client applications
- Training materials (e.g. online training materials, quizzes, required surveys)
- Multimedia (video and audio)
- Electronic documents
- Electronic forms
- Interactive maps
- Electronic document templates
- Electronic emergency notifications
- Electronic surveys
- Subscription service (e.g. news feed, alert service, professional journals)